A Foodies Guide

1.02.2015


Foodie
My husband isn’t a fan of the term but it adequately describes his deep passion and interest of  all things food and wine. His interest goes beyond just the enjoyment from food, rather it’s the process and technique of how the food and wine is made and presented. It would suffice to say that, through association, I have developed this same appreciation, and often times fascination, with what chefs are creating behind those kitchen doors.



My first real foodie moments can be documented throughout my entire courtship of Philip when we first met. He had already become familiar with the local eateries in D.C., which is in addition to having experience working at a tasting room in CA, which only fueled his passion and knowledge of viniculture. He exposed me to all types of cuisines ranging from Ethiopian, Japanese, American, French...and the list goes on. He was the first to show me what a tasting menu was and how a wine pairing option makes your food that much more enjoyable (always go for the pairing!). It was the beginning of my understanding that, to some, food goes beyond just nutrition for the body, but it’s an overall experience that when paired with a great bottle of wine and good conversation, can take you anywhere. That in itself is a very comforting feeling.

Aside from looking forward to the next restaurant on our list to try, we both enjoy watching documentaries about the culture of food, nutrition, and (of course) wine. Today I wanted to share with you a few documentaries that we’ve seen and would recommend to anyone who shares the same interest in food as we do. So, on to our list!

1. Sriracha
I just watched this documentary last night (which inspired this blog post) and I was pleasantly surprised as to how much I enjoyed watching it. Sriracha Hot Sauce has a major cult following and I seriously have yet to meet anyone who doesn’t like it or hasn’t put it on everything (us included!). You see it everywhere but people actually know very little about it’s owner and his story of creating the world’s most popular hot sauce. I learned quite a bit about the man behind Sriracha!

Sriracha Movie Website

2. Food, Inc.
I’m sure most of you have already seen this documentary but I still consider it worthy to place on the list. Food, Inc. paints the modern picture of our American food industry and how corporate farming has taken over food production. This documentary is broken into three main parts exposing the industrial production of: 1. meat 2. vegetables and grains and the third part focuses on the legal power over food labeling, regulations, and overall food habits of the American public. It’s a bit scary to watch but I’ve found it so rewarding to simply be more aware and informed about where our food comes from and the ingredients and process to which it’s made.

Food, Inc. Website

3. Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Sushi has to be one of my favorite foods of all time. I could seriously eat it all day every day if I could (i.e. those pesky mercury levels!). This is an American documentary that follows Jiro Ono who is the owner of the Michelin 3-star restaurant Sukiyabashi in Japan and a sushi master. The film also documents Jiro’s two sons who are also sushi chefs; one of which opened his own sushi restaurant and the other who is chosen to take over Sukiyabashi. It’s a fascinating look into the lives of Jiro, his family, and desire of perfection.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi Website

4. Vegucated
Would you be able to adopt a vegan diet and lifestyle for six weeks? Three New Yorkers did just this as a social experiment into the health benefits of veganism. I love that this documentary is a more humorous look into how we interpret food its preparation. It mirrors Food, Inc. in that these three people are shocked to discover how their food is produced and therefore begin to alter their views on eating meat and dairy products. Although they began this journey with the hopes of getting healthy and losing weight, it was pretty cool to see the overall change in each of them. It’s a true testament that information and knowledge is the key to making healthy food choices even if McDonalds and Burger Kings line our streets.

Vegucated Website

5. Somm
Sommelier: A person who is a trained and knowledgable wine professional. 
Somm was eye opening for me. I enjoy wine and I would believe that my ‘palate’ for wine is always evolving; considering I started with sweet white wines and now love those bolder reds. It’s been a fun journey discovering different wines and learning how to pair them at home. However, Somm takes this love of wine to the next level. It documents four sommeliers who are studying for their Master Sommelier exam, which is one of the hardest exams to ever pass. To simply taste a wine and pick out the different regions of grape that are featured is a serious talent. I learned so much from this film and could watch it over and over.

Somm IMDb

6. Spinning Plates
This film follows three restaurants and their owners and their paths to creating unique dishes and dining experiences. I love that this documentary focuses on three different restaurants with three different stories and how they’re all connected by the passion for food, family, and community. It’s fun to see how three different chefs interpret food and to see the love and passion that goes into their dishes.

Spinning Plates Website

I’ve enjoyed viewing all of these films and each of them tells a different story. Even if you don’t consider yourself a ‘foodie’ I believe you’ll appreciate the message they each send, which I believe is: to be informed about the foods you eat, learn to enjoy your food experiences, and don’t be shy about being passionate about something you believe in. It’s incredibly inspiring to see how food can bring people together!

Do you have Netflix or Hulu? Lucky for you all of these titles are streamable!

Any foodie docs not on my list? Be sure to share your favorites in the comments below!


Be sure to follow along with me and my little blog here:

No comments:

Post a Comment