New Blog Design: Simplicity Is Key

2.17.2015


Notice something new around here? Well, I hope so! I am just in love with my newest look for the blog and I hope you love it too. Very simple, clean, and classic. At least that was the feel I was going for.

The template I chose to spruce up my blog is made by Lynsey over at Shiny Magic Designs and is my third template to date of hers (can you tell I’m in love with her designs?!). She offers both Wordpress and Blogger templates for an easy $30 at her Etsy shop. Once you’ve downloaded your files the self-installation process is even easier (especially with the use of her helpful tips that are also included) or she offers to install it for you for an additional $15. Before you know it your new blog design is up and running and looking fabulous! Thanks Lynsey!

One thing that I’ve learned over the course of the last few months as a new lifestyle blogger is the importance of your blog design. Just checking out the millions of other lifestyle bloggers out there I’ve come to notice one thing they all have in common: simplicity. Simple and clean blog designs are more appealing to the eye and direct your focus on the posts and photos being featured.

When I first began this blog I thought I needed to flood my sidebar with anything and everything that could tell my readers more about me and my interests. When in fact, less is more and organization is key. With my new design I decided to clean up my page and begin organizing my posts so they’re easy to find! Well, at least I hope so ;)

So, if I could pass on any tips to fellow newbie bloggers out there here’s a few:
-keep your blog design simple. Opt for cleaner and easy to read templates instead of busy, colorful, pattern-filled templates. It’s too busy for the eyes and detracts from the substance in your posts.
-consider using a page break in your posts. This helps the reader see a snapshot of your post and decide if they want to continue reading instead of being flooded with words on the screen.
-use photo headers for your posts. This simple step draws the attention of your reader and not to mention it’s great for those who want to pin and share your post with others.
-don’t feel like you have to spend a fortune on a blog design. There are SO many talented blog designers out there and if you want a super customized design be prepared to pay up. Stick to beautiful and simplistic designs that range between $30-$50.
-keep your sidebar relevant. Don’t do what I did at first and feel like you need every widget and button on earth on the side of your blog. Clean it out and only keep items that are relevant to you as a blogger.
-have other bloggers give you feedback about your blog. I love the community over at The Peony Project because these ladies give wonderful and constructive feedback about anything blog related- because we’re all bloggers! Don’t hesitate to get the opinions of other bloggers to help you navigate the usefulness of the look you’re going for. Your readers will thank you for it!

Those are just a few things I’ve just recently learned along the way and hope you find them to be helpful too. Do you have any other tips or tricks for blog designs? Let’s catch up in the comments :)

3 comments:

  1. That's something I have been thinking about this past week. I new-ish to blogging. I love my blog design, but I'm starting to wonder if I need to cut back.
    Thank you for this post and these tips.
    Found you on Oak & Oats link-up.


    Kristin // The Peculiar Treasure
    athisfeetdaily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! It’s so nice to see you and thanks for stopping by :) Every now and then I like to spruce up my blog’s look and this time around I’m going with plain and simple. I look forward to following you on your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure wish I knew about your designer and helpful tips when I started my blog. I really like the hovering menu (that's something missing from mine, and it drives me crazy now). I agree -- simplicity is key. Photos and quality content should grab and engage readers.

    ReplyDelete