Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder: A Grateful Heart

5.04.2015

My heart is so grateful on this Monday large in part due to the fact that my husband will be in San Diego for work training ALL. DAMN. WEEK. It’s never fun when he has to leave, especially for weeks at a time, and it’s not like he’s gone far away or that he even has to travel for work that often. However, during this time apart I reflect on all the ways in which I am grateful to have this man as a husband. 

So, for today I am linking up and would like to share about my husband and how a little bit of distance can make you grow in your relationship with your spouse. 


You’re lying if you say that you want to spend every waking moment with your spouse. It just doesn’t happen. Once you’re married and living with this person it is both the greatest feeling ever to share your lives together and at the same time the worst simply because there are times when you want privacy or just a little time for yourself separate from your husband. This doesn’t mean you don’t love your spouse and I am not trying to convey that message. It just means that everyone deserves some me time and there’s nothing wrong with that.

For example...
We live in a good sized apartment but there aren’t too many places to hide and get away. I love taking bubble baths and Philip knew that once I was in the bathtub with the door shut, candles lit, and my book or iPad to watch an episode of Friends on Netflix (yes I did that), that was my cue for privacy and time for me to relax. No interruptions. But, the apartment we’re in now has those stupid sliding doors and the tub isn’t comfortable. So, baths are out for the time being. 

This means that I need to find privacy in a different way, especially when I need and want time for blogging. Again, without any interruptions. This we’re still working on ;)

As much as I want time for myself and wish that he would just leave me alone for a moment, I am constantly reminded that in times when he does have to be away, such as right now for a week in San Diego, I miss him

+ I miss waking up next to him in the morning.
+ I miss giving him a kiss before leaving for work.
+ I miss him making coffee or my lunch for me in the morning even if he doesn’t have to wake up when I do.
+ I miss that he wakes up at 3am to take Murphy out to pee.
+ I miss having dinner and a waiting husband to come home to.
+ I miss the smile on his face when I walk through the door as if I had been gone for longer than a few hours.
+ I miss cuddling up and watching t.v. with him.
+ I miss sleeping next to him at night and feeling safe.

I am grateful that I have such a loving man to call my husband. And in times when I feel like I just want to be alone I will try to remember this moment of being without him. The old saying is true...absence does make the heart grow fonder and it makes me realize each time that when he’s not with me I feel as though a true piece of me is missing. 

Having some distance can be good for your relationship every so often because it forces you to see what life would truly be like if you were apart from the one you love. It doesn’t matter if it’s for a few days, a week, or longer. You will find gratitude in your relationship during the periods of distance and pure joy and happiness when they finally return.

I am linking up this week with these fabulous blogs:

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog from the Grateful Heart link up! Oh, I know exactly what you mean! We are in an apartment too, and you're right- there's hardly any space to have privacy. It definitely solidifies your relationship right off the bat! I hope your week without your Mr. goes by fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is just what I needed!! Happy I found from the a Week Ends Linkup. This subject has really been weighing on my heart lately. My boyfriend of 9 years is getting ready to go in the Airforce at the age of 31. We have been separated before due to school and such but we always knew we could just jump in the car drive to see each other. This is not going to be the same. He could be stationed anywhere and be gone fore long periods of time like months for his intense training. I'm trying to not panic and show no fear for the time we have left before he goes in. Thanks again for your post it was nice to know I'm not alone. twigsandteas.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice to meet you and I'm happy this post could reach someone who needed it! It's funny because my husband just had his first year since separating from the Air Force this past April. Im lucky enough to say that although I had to deal with him leaving for work every few months, I never had to be away from him for too long. Especially not having to go through him being stationed elsewhere or be deployed (luckily I met him after all that, haha). But the important thing is that you are NOT alone! Staying in communication is key during times apart and it sounds like you have a solid relationship. It will be difficult but he will appreciate your support during this big career change for him. I look forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete