My Obsession With Chicken & Waffles

6.08.2015

It wasn’t until I moved out to California that all of a sudden I’ve had a major craving for the best comfort food around: chicken & waffles. Years ago I had always heard of the dish but it had never appealed to me. So what? Chicken with waffles? How does the two even go together?

Oh what I was missing out on!
The combination of sweet and savory will always be elements that just go together. There’s something about the fluffy waffles paired with crispy fried chicken and a maple syrup dripped all over it that will always have a place in my foodie heart. Luckily with the age of Pinterest there are plethoras of ways to create this fun food at home, whether it’s in its original form or a cupcake. The possibilities are endless and it’s been fun seeing how even different restaurants play with this popular dish.

Since my inner fat-kid is coming out all over this post today, I wanted to share with you my obsession with the comfort food and some of my personal favorite spots to get a great meal of chicken, waffles, or a combination of the two. I begin in my home state of Virginia and work my way across the U.S. to where I currently reside in central-California.

Evening Star Cafe | Del Rey, VA
My very first C&W experience was in a small little town in Alexandria, VA called Del Rey. We lived only minutes away at the time and Evening Star Cafe is a must if you are looking for crispy chicken and delicious, fluffy waffles.

Birch & Barley | 14th St NW, Washington, D.C.
14th street has blown up since we moved from U St and it’s now flooded with luxury apartments, up-and-coming bars and restaurants, and a whole new flock of young professional inhabitants. While my husband lived there he checked out Birch & Barley's Sunday brunch and, yep, C&W made the list! Every time I’ve been their food has been great and they boast a 555 artisanal beer selection for your enjoyment.

Willie Mae’s Scotch House | New Orleans, LA
My husband took me here for the first time when we were only just dating and I was a bit skeptical since it’s off the beaten path and in, what looked like, a not so friendly neighborhood. However, putting all that aide, Willie Mae’s fried chicken is simply the best fried chicken I have ever had. Ever. Now, they don’t do C&W but their chicken alone is enough of a reason to pay this little eatery a visit. It’s no frills but definitely worth a visit on your next trip to NOLA.

Roscoe’s House of Chicken & Waffles | Inglewood, CA
The next time you are visiting L.A. skip the In-N-Out and head to Roscoe’s to scratch that C&W itch you may be having. It’s a highly popular destination for this comfort food...it’s even in the name of the place...but you know it’ll be good decision. Besides, you can get In-N-Out practically all over CA (and I actually prefer The Habit) but Roscoe’s is only found in the L.A. area.

Clementine’s Steak House | Carpinteria, CA
Clementine’s is like stepping into the home of your favorite grandparents. The decor is charming and gives you a sense of being a guest in the home of the owners. Come hungry because the portions are family-style and come in plenty. Oh, and I can’t even begin to describe their homemade pies. However, the choice for me is their crispy fried chicken. I know it’s a steak house, and their steaks are great, but it’s the chicken that has me going back for more.

Seven Bar & Kitchen | Santa Barbara, CA
If you find yourself up in Santa Barbara for some wine tasting in the Funk Zone, be sure to get a seat (even at the bar like we did) at Seven Bar & Kitchen and enjoy some fine cocktails, chicken & waffles, and good company to end your evening. It gets packed towards the end of the night but dinner is worth the wait! Their C&W are more bite-sized, which is great for munching after a long day of wine tasting/drinking.

Sides Hardware & Shoes | Los Olivos, CA
Bear with me, Sides is more than hardware and shoes like their name suggests. This restaurant is tucked away in Los Olivos, a wine tasting community in Santa Barbara County, where after an afternoon of tasting you’re bound to hit one of their lovely eateries. Make sure Sides is on your list for lunch or dinner where you can sample their fried chicken sandwich, which is amazing, or just their plain fried chicken at dinnertime. Again, you won’t find waffles here but their chicken stands on it’s own in my opinion. Get your choice of yummy sides and you’ll be back for more on your next visit.

Can you tell how much I love chicken & waffles?! I am always on the lookout for new spots to try and put to my C&W test. So, if you love them like I do or know of a place I absolutely need to try, be sure to leave me the place in the comments.

However, if you’re looking for a more comprehensive list curated by professionals, be sure to check out America’s Best Chicken and Waffles by Travel + Leisure Magazine.

Next on my list...
My husband and I will be visiting Las Vegas and meeting up with good friends over the 4th of July weekend and a couple spots that are calling my name to try are:


Want to make easy waffles at home to pair with your favorite fried chicken? Here’s a fun recipe I played with over the weekend, which turned out delicious and exactly what I needed to satisfy my craving.


This recipe is based on the original waffle recipe here.
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 large yolks of an egg
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 cup milk or half & half
  • non-stick cooking spray
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, grease a mini-muffin tin and set aside.
  2. In a small bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine sugar and egg yolks until sugar has dissolved. Whisk in milk (or half & half), vanilla extract, and melted butter.
  4. Combine egg mixture into dry ingredients and mix well to make the batter.
  5. Using a tbsp measuring spoon, fill mini-muffin tin until batter is used.
  6. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and cooked all the way through.
  7. Serve immediately with your favorite fried chicken and maple syrup for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment